Thursday, May 23, 2013

Count your Blessings.

"When I am worried and I can't sleep...I count my Blessings instead of sheep."-Irving Berlin
one of my Blessings...a yard and garden that I am able to tend to and enjoy!
I started my day off as usual this morning. (I support myself and my Art, doing hair in a nice upscale salon.)The salon was full of clients with the usual chatter.Sometimes I worry about making ends meet and sometimes it's my faith that carries me through, and sometimes I complain if my week isn't as prosperous as I think it should be....but today I really had to stop in my tracks and Count My Blessings!  I happened to look away from my client to the big window in the front of the building...This small frail woman in the parking lot caught my attention...but what really caught my eye was the beautiful baby boy asleep on her shoulder. Then I saw the sign she was holding...penciled in on a piece of cardboard...it read..Please help me..I am a single mother of 3..and have lost my job. My gut started doing flip flops, and my inner voice prompted me to excuse myself from my client and walk out to the parking lot and give this woman what I could. As did two other people. The woman (baby still asleep on her shoulder) was so grateful and with tears rolling down her cheeks...looked me straight in the eye and said "God bless you." The proprietor of another buisiness close by ran out spewing harsh words and told the poor soul to get away, then she called the police on her.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???
What about compassion,love, and kindness.
I had people telling me after I came back into the salon that she probably made more money than me doing this and the baby was probably a prop! I wasn't born yesterday...I know about panhandlers and people scamming other people. But in my heart of hearts when I looked into this woman's eyes...I could feel her pain, her desperation,her fear!  She disappeared after her run in with the rude store owner. I came home worrying about what would happen to her and wishing I could have done more for her. Anyone of us at one point or another could be in her place. We are such a throw away society and take so much for granted...If we could just stop the hate... and love and help one another this world would be such a better place...
Peace and Blessings...kat.
"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."-Mother Teresa..

1 comment:

  1. Mercy - This Was The Most Heartfelt Post I've Read In I Can't Even Remember How Long. Today Kathy, I Told My Husband At Dinner How Blessed We Were. That Souls Throughout The World Were Suffering Such Losses..Especially Those In Oklahoma Following That Disasterous Tornado. Then I Read This. And Afterwards, I Too Have That Same Question: "What Is Wrong With People?" The Angels Rejoiced When Looking Down Upon That Scene In The Parking Lot Today! Your Gesture Of Love And Kindness Touched More Than Just That Poor Soul You Reached Out To. I'm Just In Tears....xo

    ReplyDelete