Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Patina of time.

"Monuments are anchors in time, Epochs pass, weather erodes, people lose interest. This cannot be helped. But Patina itself is worth appreciating. Patina is the value that age puts on an object. It's what makes an antique... antique. It is experience, maturity, the soft sheen of time. Patina wasn't present at the beginning of a new creation....It comes from a life lived."- John Yemma.

"Patina" Acrylic on 11x14 canvas.

Many years ago I picked up this lone chair at a flea market...It's patina screamed at me...It's sturdy legs and back holding up a variety of people over the years. Everyone that sees it thinks it is ugly, but to me it spoke of a life lived. I tried to imagine the many people that sat upon it, the lives that were lived around it...who was the first person to own it, and who was the first person to paint it white. Age has made it quite beautiful to me...It has it's place in my home and will probably be thrown out as junk when I die. Sadly we live in a throw away society....instead of honoring and preserving our past, we tear it down, shove it aside and just go on our merry way.
But ahh...my little chair holds my cat while I am on the computer, holds my grandaughter when we are drawing, holds books that I am reading...and occasionally holds me...It still speaks of a life lived...

Peace and Blessings....Kat.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, This Painting Made Me So Happy...I've Forever Painted Chairs...Loved Using Them As Subjects In My Compositions..Gosh, This One Is Truly Sensational...!!!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri! I love chairs also. The older the better. I don't need any more chairs, but I am always on the lookout for them! :)

    ReplyDelete